Capacity Development with National Coordinating Bodies such as National AIDS Councils
- Page not found
- About Us
- Civil Society Groups
- electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network
- Financial Management
- Health Information Systems
- Innovation and Technologies
- Legal and Policy Support
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Procurement and Supply Chain Management
- Programme Management
- Solar for Health
- Frequently Asked Questions
- National Coordinating Bodies
Legal and Policy
- Case Studies
- Enabling legal environments
- Identifying human rights barriers
- Key Populations
- UNDP's role
- About results
- Arab States
- Asia Pacific
- Europe & the CIS
- Impact Highlights
- Latin America & the Caribbean
- Regional Grants
The objective of a capacity development planning process with a national coordinating body is the design and implementation of a process to strengthen capacities in national coordination, communication and monitoring and evaluation.
The intended results are greater national ownership, resilient, accountable and transparent systems and effective and efficient approaches for the monitoring and evaluation of national strategies by national entities.
Capacity Development Plans for National Coordinating Bodies should provide a framework to:
- Have a clear vision and structure to effectively coordinate, monitor and evaluate the national strategy.
- Coordinate and represent all the key sectors operating within the country.
- Strengthen policies and guidelines to meet the country needs, in line with the national strategy.
- Develop quality products and services to respond to the needs of stakeholders and key populations.
Strong coordination is key to an efficient and effective response, and is required for the successful implementation of national strategies. Capacity development plans for national coordinating bodes should identify coordination challenges both internally and at a national and a district level, as well as identifying the sectors working within the response, mapping these, and monitoring and evaluating all partners and their roles.
UNDP has developed and tested a Capacity Assessment and Planning Tool for NACs, which can be amended to suit the country context as required. UNDP provides guidance and support to participatory capacity planning processes, which lead to a more country led Capacity Development work plan.
National Coordinating Bodies Capacities
The capacities required by National Aids Commissions (NACs) to effectively and efficiently act as the custodians of National Strategic Plans as part of a coordinated multi-sectoral approach include: